February 27, 2021

Steinbeck quotes

 


“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about.” 
― East of Eden


“Anything that just costs money is cheap.” 
― John Steinbeck


All war is a symptom of man's failure as a thinking animal.” 

― John Steinbeck


“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.” 
― Travels with Charley: In Search of America


“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” 
― The Winter of Our Discontent


“It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.” 
― Cannery Row


“Try to understand men. If you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and almost always leads to love.” 
― John Steinbec


“I believe a strong woman may be stronger than a man, particularly if she happens to have love in her heart. I guess a loving woman is indestructible.” 
― East of Eden


“A sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ.” 
― Travels with Charley: In Search of America


No comments:

Post a Comment